Mercedes Running Tips for owners
Number 1 has to be WARM YOUR ENGINE! by this we mean at least 10 miles, just because your water shows warm this does not mean your oil is at its optimum operating temperature, this will help with any bore scoring issues.
Check your oil don't wait for the warning, high speed corning with low oil can result in oil starvation and damage.
Low coolant light DO NOT DRIVE! even a slight loss in coolant level can result in serious engine damage and bore scoring.
Service your beloved Mercedes before the warning light comes on, an early service could extend the life of your engine, manufactures extend the mileage between services to compete with sales and do not want your engine to last forever, by changing the oil you remove all the contaminates and acids from your engine. 20k miles is to long we see what state the oil is in when drained not good.
Listen to your engine like your wife it can keep you out of trouble, report any unusual noises especially any valve train clatter turn of and report.
Smell your engine and report any unusual smells
- Number 1 has to be WARM YOUR ENGINE! by this we mean at least 10 miles, just because your water shows warm this does not mean your oil is at its optimum operating temperature, this will help with any premature wear on your gears and differential.
- Don't rush or crunch your gears this can damage the dog rings around the gear, very costly to repair!
- Service your gearbox, this is not always on the Mercedes schedule, a oil change can extend the life of your gearbox.
- Listen to your gearbox like your wife it can keep you out of trouble, report any unusual noises especially any whining and clucks.
- Smell your gearbox and report any unusual smells.
- When braking check for any uneven braking and vibration-report.
- Listen any knocks and squeaks- report.
- Top tip is always brake hard on a wet day before parking your car in your garage this heats the discs to dry them avoiding any early corrosion.
- Check your car is level by measuring the gap between the wheel arch and tyre, uneven gaps could be a broken spring.
- Vibration under braking check your Pea Bushes and disc run out very common.
- Don't forget your brake fluid services brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water) and can corrode your brake internal parts.
- Always check for uneven tyre wear but cars with high negative camber do wear tyres on the edge therefore beware the tread may look good on the outside and may be showing the cords or steel on the inside!
- Mercedes wheel's are subject to a lot of corrosion TWG advice is coat the alloys in WD40 in the winter to help with salt corrosion.
- Check your wheels on the inside for dents 30% of vehicle that we service have wheels out of shape.
Wheels and Tyres
see our page >>>
ESTABLISHED IN 1982
Independent Mercedes Specialists
CAMBRIDGESHIRE NORTHAMPTONSHIRE LEICESTERSHIRE